Recent Fire Damage Posts
A fire can take seconds to destroy everything in its path. When a fire does occur whether it be large or small, the effects can be so devastating. The remediation process can be much more stressful than you would like. One of the cons of a fire remediation project is that it can take time and patience. Understanding the process and timeline can help eliminate some worry and stress.
When a fire occurs it is normally not just fire remediation that is needed, but also can include water and smoke mitigation. Depending on the severity of the fire, there may be structural damages that require the property to need an emergency board up service. This is to protect the structure from secondary damages from the outside elements.
Fire damage clean up includes but is not limited to; removing debris, removing any standing water, mitigating water damage, removing all the smoke particles, removing soot accumulation in the home and HVAC system, as well as handling damaged contents.
There are things you can do to help remove the chances of secondary damages occurring after the property has been released as safe for reentry. Limit the amount of movement in the home to prevent soot particles from spreading. Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, high traffic areas, and upholstery to help protect it. Coat chrome faucets, trimmings, and appliances with jelly or oil. Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpet. Do not wash walls or painted services as it only smears the soot. Do not shampoo carpet or upholstery. Do not clean any electrical equipment. Do not send any clothing to a dry cleaner since improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
If you or anyone you know finds themselves in need of Fire Mitigation services, please call SERVPRO of Northwest Albuquerque at 505-503-8627. Our professionals provide timely response mitigation services and ensure your property, belongings, and memories are restored to preloss condition when possible. “Like it never happened.”
Holiday Lighting Safety Precautions
Safe Holiday Lighting
The holiday season is such a magical time, and with the season also comes added risk. Holiday lighting is subject to be a real fire risk if not used with precaution. Let's be sure we deck the halls safely!
- Always check each set of lights for worn, broken or cracked, cords/sockets. Also check for any loose bulbs and replace any damaged lights.
- Be sure the lights you are using are rated for indoor use and tested for safety. Check for the label of an independent testing lab like Underwriters' Laboratory (UL)
- Never put lights on a metallic Christmas tree in order to avoid the risk of electric shock.
- Turn off all Christmas lights and decorations when going to bed or leaving home.
- Make sure your electric cords and tree lights are protected to keep pets safe from chewing them.
- Be sure the outdoor lights are rated for exterior use by an independent testing lab as mentioned prior.
- Always secure the lights to trees, houses, walls, or other firm support to protect from wind damage.(However please do not attach with nails or staples as they can easily cut through the protective wire insulation and start a fire.)
- Take exterior lights down within 90 days to prevent weather damage hazards or little critters chewing the wires.
- Ensure you store the lights safely after taking them down. When lights get tangled it can lead to damaged cords and broken sockets(and they're a pain to untangle!) You can wrap the strings around an appropriate sized cardboard piece, cover them in paper or fabric, and carefully place them in a sturdy container until your next use.
- NEVER use real candles to decorate a tree. Battery-operated/flameless/LED candles are recommended instead.
- If using real candles for decorating, please follow these candle fire safety guidelines:
- Keep candles away from any flammable objects like decorations or drapes.
- NEVER burn candles near trees or greenery.
- Always keep burning candles within sight.
- Place candles where they cannot be knocked down or blown over.
- Only use non-flammable candle holders.
- Extinguish ALL candles before going to bed, leaving the room, or leaving your home.
Contact SERVPRO of Northwest Albuquerque
At SERVPRO of Northwest Albuquerque, we are wishing you and yours a wonderfully safe holiday! Should you need us, we are here to help mitigate property damage 24/7.
Call us at, 505-503-8627
Safety Precautions: Smoke Alarms
Check your smoke alarms.
Every home should at least have one working smoke alarm in every sleeping room and every level. Smoke alarms are a great way to prevent a tragic incident within seconds!
A smoke alarm is a detector the detects smoke in the room and makes an extremely loud noise to warn the person there is a sign of smoke and attention is needed. This is great in case you are asleep or have a child sleeping in the other room.
- Test all smoke alarms at least once a month.
- Smoke alarms should be either on the ceiling or high on the wall. (Large homes may need extra alarms)
- People who are hard of hearing or deaf can use special smoke alarms with either strobe lights or bed shakers rather than an alarming noise.
- Smoke alarms are an important part of a home fire escape plan.
When tragedy hits, let us help!
A house that had been burnt down
After receiving a call from a customer who was in complete disbelief that something so horrific had happened to them, we were quick to get our things together and go see what we were getting into. Upon arrival, SERVPRO of Northwest Albuquerque quickly saw how much had been burned and knew that we were about to get to work! This was nothing new to us but we completely understand how devastating it could be for our customers, especially in times like this. SERVPRO of Northwest Albuquerque was able to help get our customer get a majority of the burnt items out and into the trash or wherever they had to go depending on what the item was. Thankfully none of our customers were hurt by this so they were grateful that we were able to help them take care of this tragedy.
Let us be there for you!
House and everything in it burnt down
SERVPRO of Northwest Albuquerque received a call about a fire. When we arrived to the scene, there was not much that we can salvage because of haw badly burnt everything was. With that being said, what we were able to do for our customer was make sure that everything is taken down and cleaned up before either constructing something new or just moving on. We know how devastating something like this could be and how much it could take to clean up, that is why we are always ready to help with no job being too big or too small for us! We are always grateful to help out our neighbors in need, especially during times like this. This can happen to anyone, if it happens to you or someone you know, please let us know and we can do it!
Fire Damage Cleanup Inside and Out
Shed Fire Cleanup in Bosque Farms, NM
SERVPRO of Northwest Albuquerque received a call from the customer is regards to a fire damage that has occurred to his shed in the backyard. After our first inspection we discovered that the tree behind the sheds have also been burnt and needed to be cut down.
As you may not know SERVPRO of Northwest Albuquerque helps with fire damage that has occurred either the interior or exterior part of your home.
Fire Damage is not only stressful, but it can cause you to loss everything that you have worked so hard for. Listed below are some tips to help prevent fires that can occur in your home or shed.
Shed fire tips:
- Fuel storage: Sheds are used to store cars, ATVs, boats and other machines that use fuel. Storage of fuel puts your shed at an increased risk of fire damage.
- Electrical fire: Proximity of combustible and flammable materials with electrical appliances creates a fire risk.
House Fire Tips:
- Stay in the kitchen. Don't leave a hot cooking surface unattended.
- Check the dryer.
- Maintain electrical cords.
- Know your shutoffs.
- Be careful with candles.
Please keep in mind that SERVPRO of Northwest Albuquerque is always here to help.
How to Prevent a House Fire
Wiring and outlets are one of the top causes of house fires. Don't pinch or cover electrical cords with rugs, or any other items.
Being careless in the kitchen. Never leave pots and pans unattended. Keep a fire extinguisher ready at all times. Always keep oven and stove clean, built up food splatter or grease can later ignite when the stove or oven is turned on for cooking.
Dirty fireplaces and can pose a fire hazard. Burn wood that is seasoned. Don't burn green or damp wood. Avoid putting cardboard boxes or trash in the fireplace.
Another top cause for house fires is candles. Never leave a lit candle unattended. Extinguish all candle flames before leaving or going to bed.
House fires can be very devastating for the home owners. Please use these tips to help prevent you home from a house fire.
Horrible house fire
Horrible house fire
A fire in Las Vegas New Mexico was ignited by old wiring. This picture shows the horrible mess that the fire left behind. This family was devastated that all of their valuables were destroyed in the fire. They were also left without a home to live in and is depending on us to help them.
SERVPRO of Northwest Albuquerque was called to clean up the fire. We advise to everyone that you get your electrical wiring checked every 5 years to prevent this from happing to your home.
SERVPRO of Northwest Albuquerque understands the situation and would like to take off a lot of stress and worrying from you and your family. We are here to minimize the interruption in your life and make it "Like it never even happened."